After listening to all of Frank’s story, Archie was red from laughing.
“Frank Harlin, the things you get yourself into!” he chuckled.
“So, about the money?” Frank asked.
Archie was immediately uncomfortable again. “You see, Frank, about that,” he said nervously. “I can’t just give you money. I’m not a philanthropist. And besides, I just bought a new automobile last week, so money is kind of tight.”
At that moment, a servant walked in. “Sir, the golden dinner plates you bought yesterday are ready here. Would you like some Matsutake Mushrooms with Almas Caviar?”
“Wait a minute,” said Frank accusingly. “Aren’t those the mushrooms that cost one hundred dollars a pound?”
The servant smiled. “No sir, one thousand dollars a pound, and the caviar cost twenty five thousand dollars.”
Archie looked even more uncomfortable. “Yes, that sounds delicious. Bring it in.”
The servant left the room and Frank glared at Archie. Archie had changed a lot since Frank had last seen him. Instead of terribly thin, he was a bit more than pleasantly plump. His scruffy red hair was now combed neatly with an ugly haircut. And a tan suit replaced the gray rags he had once worn.
“Money is tight, Archie? I don’t think so,” Frank said, raising his eyebrows.
“All right, all right, I am very rich right now. But… the Essex House Restaurant? That’s very expensive, especially if you’re taking Betty What’s-her-name. It sounds like she has expensive tastes,” whimpered Archie.
“You could go to that restaurant every night if you wanted to, Archie,” replied Frank angrily. “And besides, you owe me big time. If it weren’t for me, you wouldn’t have that shovel, and without the shovel, you would never have found gold, and without gold…”
“I would still be a street urchin,” sighed Archie.
“So hand over the money.”
Archie was still. Then he sighed again. “I will pay for half of your dinner, but that is it,” Archie said grudgingly.
“Just half?” asked Frank.
“And I’ll get you some nicer clothes. You can’t walk into the Essex House Restaurant with that shirt on.”
Frank smiled. “Then let’s get started!”
I like this, can't wait to see what happens in the next installment...
ReplyDeleteThis story moves kind of fast, but I'm anxious to learn how he plans to pay for the other half of the dinner.
ReplyDelete